George Thums and his wife Elizabeth came to Little Eaton from Nottinghamshire, probably in the 1870s. The couple settled on the Alfreton road and had seven children: George, Herbert, Milicent, Ada, Arthur, Henry and Frederick, all mentioned as pupils of the local school. Later, they took over Church Farm (now the Long Barn and the Stone Barn).
Henry was married to Harriet and the couple had four children, Ada, Leonard, Arthur and Mary (Mary and her husband John Laurence Easter were John Easter’s parents). They lived at Park View. When George Thums bought Park Farm in 1921, Henry and his family moved in. Meanwhile, Henry’s brother Arthur took over Church Farm in the village. The two families lived in the two farms (known locally as Top Farm and Bottom Farm) until the late 1930s when Arthur died. Henry and Harriet then left Park Farm and took over Church Farm. Their children had married by then but lived nearby and continued to help to run the farm and the butcher’s shop.